Is Avocado High In Calories? – Avocados are diverse powerhouses with a wonderfully mild taste. They contain many important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E and iron, which support the immune system. The potassium contained in the avocado has a draining effect and the folic acid prevents cardiovascular diseases. The popular fruit contains a lot of unsaturated fatty acids, which according to scientists are said to lower cholesterol levels.
The high fiber content keeps you full for a long time and can even help you lose weight. The avocados have a rounded to pear-shaped appearance (depending on the variety), a leathery skin, and weigh about 170 g – 400 g. The core of the avocado is about the size of a golf ball. The flesh is green-yellow to golden-yellow and oxidized as soon as it is in the air. This can be prevented by adding so-called antioxidants (such as lemon juice).
In addition to being delicious, the avocado is rich in vitamins A, C, D. K, and B, making it a very good source of energy, a powerful antioxidant, and a booster of the immune system. But if this were not enough, its high content of protein, potassium, zinc, omega-3, oleic acid, folic acid, lutein, and fiber, make it the ideal companion for meals for all types of people, be they athletes, children, or seniors, to name a few.
What is avocado?
The avocado (Persea Americana Mill.) It is an exotic fleshy fruit obtained from the tropical tree of the same name. It has dimensions of 5-6 cm in length. The normal weight ranges from 200-400 g, although pieces of up to 2 kg can be found. The bark is thick and hard, green in color, the shade of which depends on the variety.
The pulp is oily creamy to yellowish-green, with a nutty flavor. It has a single rounded seed of light brown color and 2-4 cm, which appears covered with a thin woody layer. The fruit is a single-seed, oval berry with a smooth or rough surface. The ripening occurs only in some varieties and maturation of the fruit only when it is separated from the tree. Pollination of this species is carried out by bees and other insects of similar size.
This fruit is characterized by a high percentage of fat. It is very energetic and its use is not recommended at the end of meals. Specifically, 100 g of this product provides between 128 and 233 kcal. It is a fruit very rich in minerals, mainly potassium, iron, and phosphorus. Avocado is a fruit very low in carbohydrates, it does not even reach 2 grams per 100 when for example an apple reaches 14 grams.
However, it is called vegetable butter for being very rich, as indicated above, in fat. But this fat is a healthy, vegetable, unsaturated and cholesterol-free fat. It can be consumed both raw and cooked, being used more as a vegetable than as a fruit. It lacks a characteristic sweet or acid flavor, allowing it to be combined with many dishes.
Avocados can be purchased throughout the year. The color of the skin depends on the variety and does not indicate the degree of maturity of the fruit. The optimal moment of its consumption is marked by the softness of the pulp when it can be spread like butter.
Those that are not fully mature are left to mature for 2 or 3 days at room temperature, being able to stop their maturation by placing them in the refrigerator. In any case, it must be taken into account that this fruit does not withstand very low temperatures.
The harvesting procedure for its commercialization is carried out determining the commercial ripening point, which is the advisable moment for its commercialization and consumption. One of the indices used to determine the ripening point is the percentage of oil in the fruit.
In California, the minimum content of oil to harvest should be 8% and in Israel 10%. Its main commercialization problem is that once collected, its maturation process is very fast, so it is necessary to select post-harvest technologies that delay the climate crisis and / or the synthesis of ethylene.
Usefulness of avocado
The avocado is such a versatile tree that it can be exploited to the maximum since its use is not only limited to the pulp of its fruit. But also the other parts that compose it such as wood, leaves, peel, seed, and natural oils.
The wood of this tree is used for the construction of houses, furniture, tables, chairs, beds and to make firewood.>
Its leaves are used medicinally as an anti-inflammatory, they are commonly consumed as an infusion.
- Fruit peel
The crushed peel is used as a purgative, to cleanse the digestive system.
Due to its amino acid content, the seed is roasted and ground to be used as a tea in different conditions such as asthma, infections, diarrhea, digestive problems.
- Natural oils
Avocado oil is used in both cooking and natural medicine. In the kitchen, it serves to dress salads, make dips, pate, among others. Medicinally it reduces cholesterol and blood pressure, it is good for strengthening our hair, improving the appearance of our skin, and revitalizing our body.
The pulp of the avocado is used when the fruit is ripe. It is used in salads, meringues, guacamole, creams. In the cosmetic industry hair products such as conditioner, shampoo, ampoules are made. Skin creams, oils, among others, are also made.
Properties of avocado
Avocado is characterized by its richness in numerous vitamins, minerals, and elements that are needed for the healthy growth and development of the human body. Some of the characteristic properties of avocado are as follows:
- It improves the cardiovascular system. The good fats contained in the avocado help to reduce bad cholesterol in the blood and improve the circulatory system, it is an excellent fruit for our heart.
- Contains protein, vitamins, and minerals. It helps to deflate the joints as in the case of arthritis and recovers muscle mass.
- In addition to protein, it contains vitamin E, zinc and potassium, vitamin B, vitamin D, magnesium, folic acid, iron, and fiber. It improves the immune system. It contains carotenoids which make our body protected against the attack of diseases.
- Antioxidant. The avocado contains lutein, a carotenoid that protects our vision and helps as an antioxidant, provides great benefits for our skin, helping to reduce the signs of aging.
Though the fruit is beneficial for health, growth, and development, but it also has some contraindications in which this fruit cant be consumed. Such as:
- This fruit is contraindicated for people who are under treatment with anticoagulants since they can decrease its effect on the body.
- Infusions made with avocado leaves cannot be consumed by pregnant women, as they can cause abortion.
- Excessive consumption of the fruit can cause stomach problems.
- The seeds should be eaten with caution, as some studies consider it toxic.
Facts about avocado that you may not know
You may know that avocado is the superfood that has been gaining its popularity in the kitchen of all around the world. However, it is still new and you may not know some of the facts about this fruit. Take a look:
- When you cut an avocado, you are breaking down the cell walls and that causes oxidation. This oxidation process can be avoided by adding an acidic agent (such as lemon or lime juice) and limiting the surface area exposed to air.
- Avocados are a great nutritional source of potassium, they contain 60% more potassium than bananas themselves.
- European sailors in ancient times used an avocado as a substitute for butter.
- The Hass avocado contains more fiber than any other fruit commonly consumed.
- The avocado in countries like France and consequently Italy and England receives the name of Avocat (which means lawyer) the English and Italian word is avocado. This is because, according to what they say, in France, the avocado came from Haiti and they named it la bonne poire (the good pear). But soon the price shot up reaching high prices, which meant that the French people considered this food a delicacy for wealthy classes. Such as lawyers, so it was renamed poor d’avocat, and hence the current name of de avocat.
- Eating an avocado at least once a day is a healthy way to keep bad cholesterol under control. This is confirmed by research published in the Journal of the American Heart Association. The researchers say that in diets to regulate the heart, saturated fatty acids, present in many diets, should be replaced by unsaturated fatty acids from avocado.
- In addition to consuming avocados, this fruit has many other uses. Avocado oil is used in beauty products, it is used in treatments to delay aging, to keep skin healthy and wrinkle-free. Masks are made, and even as a shampoo to maintain the healthiest and shiniest hair.
Avocado – Is Avocado High In Calories?
Are you on a diet and are looking for foods that provide calories for your daily needs but don’t make you fat? Avocados can be the right choice. Avocados are now a favorite fruit for people who want to lose weight. Because the avocado calories are high and good for maintaining a healthy body. Eating avocados can also make you feel full longer because of the content of monounsaturated fat in them.
How many calories does an avocado have?
An ordinary avocado has about 322 calories. Thus, half of an avocado will have 161 calories, and a quarter of avocado will bring about 81 calories and 5 grams of fat. Even if it is a higher calorie fruit, you must remember that these calories come from healthy fats and are good for health, if you eat them in moderation in a proper diet. For example, you can substitute butter or mayonnaise when making sandwiches and opt for a quarter of an avocado.
- 1 posti avocado (1/5): 50 calories, 4.5 grams of total fat
- ½ medium avocado: 130 calories, 12 grams total fat
- 1 medium avocado: 250 calories, 23 grams total fat
- 1 ounce of avocado serving gives 45 calories
- 100 gram of avocado serving gives 160
- 1 cup sliced of avocado serving gives 234 calories
- 1 cup diced of avocado serving gives 240 calories
- 1 avocado gives 322 calories
In one study, found that eating half an avocado can reduce the production of substances that increase inflammation in the body. Avocados can also help your body absorb good nutrients from other foods. No need to worry, avocados are cholesterol-free, sodium-free, and low in sugar which is good for health. Although most of the calories in avocados come from fat, there’s no need to worry. Because the fruit is full of healthy fats that are useful for controlling cholesterol levels and can help you stay full.
Get to know the avocado diet
Avocados can help you lose weight because they can make you feel fuller after eating. Because of that you become less snacking and can hold your appetite. This is certainly good if you want to lose weight. The avocado diet is done by eating avocados for breakfast, lunch, dinner until snacking. Avocados may be served with bread, vegetables, smoothies, or just fruit.
Diets that only limit one particular type of food are usually unhealthy and not recommended by experts. The fruit is a portion of healthy food if consumed in a balanced amount. However, fruit should not be the only food that you eat for a whole day. Especially if the type of fruit is just that. Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, fiber, potassium, and vitamin K. These nutrients make avocados a healthy fruit but in sufficient quantities, so you must include other food as well. in your diet.
Avocados are high in calories, with one and a half avocados containing 182 calories. If you eat too much, not lose weight, it will increase. This is what makes avocados can also increase your weight. Yes, that does not mean because you eat fruit you can eat as much as possible. This is precisely wrong. In addition, if you only eat avocados for a certain period of time, you will lose other important nutrients that are not contained in avocados.
The avocado diet you can do according to your goals. If you want to lose weight with an avocado diet, don’t overeat avocados. Replace your diet with additional avocados, like avocado fruit salad or avocado omelet. You should avoid avocados as your snack because they will subconsciously increase your calorie intake. Meanwhile, if you want to gain weight with an avocado diet. You can replace avocados as a healthy food in your diet, such as for your afternoon snack.
Eating Avocados Make Fat Or Slim?
So far, the avocado is known as a fruit that is rich in benefits because it contains good fats. Avocados are often referred to as one type of fruit that is beneficial for the diet. So far, the avocado is known as a fruit that is rich in benefits because it contains good fats.
Avocados are often referred to as one type of fruit that is beneficial for the diet. But, you might also have heard that avocados can make you fat. Then which is correct? Does avocado make fat or slim? Consider the following answer.
Related Post: How Many Calories In An Avocado? Everything About Avocado Calories
Avocados to gain weight
Although avocados are included in the fruits category, avocados are actually a good source of vegetable fat for consumption. Avocados contain solid calories. According to nutrition experts who are members of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in the United States, you who want to gain weight, need to add a source of solid calories every meal.
However, that does not mean you can consume carelessly foods that are rich in calories, such as junk food. Instead, choose a source of calories and fat that also contains many important nutrients the body needs. Avocados can be the right answer. Because the avocado is a source of vitamins A, B-6, and C. In addition, this exotic fruit is also rich in minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and iron.
Avocados for weight loss
Then is it true that avocados are good for dieting? You do not need to worry about the fat content in avocados. Because the type of fat in avocados is monounsaturated vegetable fat. This type of fat is called good fat because it is very easy to burn and convert into energy. In contrast to saturated fat which tends to settle in the body. Due to good fat content and dense calories, eating avocados can make you full longer.
You are also able to control the desire to find snacks or eat in large portions. So that the avocado is the right choice for those of you who are on a diet.
Depending on how you consume it
Avocados are exotic fruits that are good for weight control. Either to reduce or gain weight. The key lies in how you consume it.
If you want to increase the number of scales, you should add avocados to your daily menu. For example, as a snack in the afternoon. You can also replace unhealthy high-calorie foods like fried foods with avocados. In the morning, you can drink avocado juice to increase energy and nutritional intake.
Meanwhile, if you want to manage the body, do not overeat avocados. The reason is, eating avocados doesn’t make you skinny for an instant. Change your lunch menu, with avocado salad. You can also have breakfast with yogurt and avocado slices instead of eating chicken porridge or rice. For maximum results balance with physical activity and regular exercise.
Therefore, avocado can be a diet that can both be used for gaining or losing weight. Consume as per your need and goal.