About Avocado fruit and avocado grapefruit salad recipe:- Avocado is a fruit originally from Mexico and Central America.
Belonging to the Lauraceae family, it is very rich in interesting nutritional properties and provides the body with about 150 kcal per 100 grams of the product.
But these are calories full of health! The avocado pulp, in fact, contains an excellent quantity of vitamins: B vitamins (precious for the nervous system and to make the metabolism work better), vitamin K (essential for the correct coagulation of the blood and for the health of the bones).
Vitamin C (useful for the well-being of the immune system, for the skin and to prevent even important diseases) and vitamin E (anti-age par excellence, it contrasts the production and action of the notorious free radicals).
Avocado Grapefruit Salad Recipe Making Is Easier Than You Think
Avocado has a buttery consistency and is very rich in monounsaturated fats very similar to those of olive oil. In place of healthy foods, according to the latest studies, avocado would help reduce triglycerides and bad cholesterol.
For its part, avocado is a food that, day by day, is most valued for its nutritional contributions. Thanks to its properties, many speak of this fruit as a superfood. Mainly provides Omega 3, a group of fatty acids benefits in the cardiovascular system.
The avocado also contains magnesium, a mineral that contributes to the good state of the nervous system. Also, it has vitamin C, vitamin K and some of the B group.
The grapefruit is a variety of orange-like citrus, but the more acidic and bitter flavor. It contains vitamin C, antioxidants, and offers a lot of energy. It is a winter citrus fruit, present from late autumn until early spring.
A perfect ingredient to fill up on vitamins during the cold season. The nutritional properties of grapefruit are varied. An important feature is that it contains practically no calories.
This makes it a recommended fruit in weight loss diets. It has high water content, it is rich in vitamin C and folic acid. It also has vitamin A, which makes it have antioxidant effects on the body.
It is also high in fiber and low in calories and contains bioflavonoids, a super powerful natural antioxidant. They also have a wide variety of vitamins, such as calcium and phosphorus, and nutrients, including potassium and lycopene.
Here we have presented the salad made from these two super ingredients. Grapefruit and avocado salad is a refreshing and nutritious preparation that goes very well in the summer.
It is a salad that is made very simply and will surprise any visitor. It also combines textures and flavors in a harmonious way, helping to get out of the routine of classic salads.
- Servings per container: 4
- Preparation time: 10 min.
- Cooking time: 10 min.
- Complexity: simple
Table of Contents
- Ingredients needed
- Utensils and devices that are needed
- How to Prepare
- Methods of making the avocado grapefruit salad recipe
- How to serve
- Some simple tips to follow
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to lose weight with grapefruit
- How to work with lettuce to make your salad tastier
- What are the contraindications of eating Grapefruit
- How to choose a sweet grapefruit
- How to clean and peel a grapefruit
- How to peel grapefruit in the simplest way
- How to squeeze the juice of the grapefruit without peeling
#1 Ingredients needed for making the avocado grapefruit salad recipe
This delicious summer salad combines juicy grapefruit with soft avocado, creating the perfect light lunch to enjoy on a busy day at work or as a refreshing snack on the beach.
It is also a fabulous recipe for maintaining your diet while enjoying all that summer has to offer. It is a perfect cold dish also for those on a diet because, although it is not really light, it allows you to bring good avocado fats and the detox properties of grapefruit to the table.
For this salad, like acid, we will be using grapefruit juice and as for sweetness, we will be using the honey instead of sugar. As for a little spiciness, we will be adding some chili pepper.
So the ingredients that we will be using or this recipe are not only natural and healthy but are also common that we can find easily in our kitchen. Take a look at the ingredients below:
Ingredients for making Avocado grapefruit salad recipe:
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 tbsp lime
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 chili pepper
- 2 g salt [optional] that is 1 pinch
- 2 g ground pepper [optional]
- 1/2 smooth lettuce
- 2 avocado
#2 Utensils and devices that are needed for making the avocado grapefruit salad recipe
The grapefruit and avocado salad is a simple and delicious side dish that presents a happy unification between the crunchiness of lettuce, the freshness of grapefruit, and the buttery delicacy of avocado.
On top of that, the making process of salad is very simple and easy. And the utensils and devices that we need for this recipe are also simple and very few. Only the common utensils such as chopping board, knife, some bowls, and spoons are the ones that we need.
We also need a refrigerator if you prefer your salad cold or for further storage for future use. Take a look at the utensils that we need for this recipe:
Utensils that we need for Avocado grapefruit salad recipe:
- Chopping board
- Small and large bowls
- Plate for serving
#3 Preparation before making the avocado grapefruit salad recipe
Two simple ingredients that go perfectly together are grapefruit and avocado. The avocado loves the bright touch of acid citrus, and the grapefruit loves the warm richness of the avocado.
The grapefruit and avocado salad have many nutritional properties, an important feature is that it contains virtually no calories. This makes it a recommended fruit in weight loss diets.
Though the salad making process is very simple and less time consuming, but the preparation for making this salad consumes more time. It is because we have to prepare the raw ingredients for making the salad, and involves a lot of cleaning, chopping, washing, slicing.
Once done with t eh reparation, we can then make the salad in no time. But remember that prepare and cut the avocado only at the time of making the salad. So it retains its color and freshness. Let’s start and prepare for our salad:
- First thing first, wash your hands properly with soap and water. This is a must when we are going through this difficult phase of the Corona outbreak.
- Now gather your utensils, wash them, and set them aside to let them dry. Such as knife, bowls, spoons, and chopping board.
- Then bring all your raw ingredients together and place them in the kitchen counter. Then wash your avocado, grapefruit, lime, and lettuce.
- Peel the grapefruit as a whole with a well-sharpened knife and remove the wedges (if the juice drips, collect it in a small bowl). Alternatively, remove the white skin and cut the grapefruits into approximately 7-8 mm thick slices. (Detailed process of cleaning, peeling, and cutting of grapefruit is given below).
- As for lettuce, we will be using the whole single leaf so there is no need to cut the leaves. Only separate the lettuce and keep in on a plate.
- Wash the chili pepper, remove the seeds according to the desired degree of spiciness, chop finely.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice in a small bowl.
- Now that you have done your preparation, let’s get to the making of the salad.
#4 Method of making the Avocado Grapefruit Salad Recipe
The grapefruit salad with avocado is a dish to be tasted both as a first and second course but also as a side dish. The salads, in fact, are essential during the summer to be able to withstand the heat but can also be used in winter to consume or for a quick meal at work.
In this recipe, we propose you to mix tow fruits: grapefruit, and avocado contrasting flavors that blend perfectly for taste and consistency. The grapefruit and avocado salad will allow you to do the energy load but also to take advantage of all the nutritional properties of these ingredients.
If you love the salad here is a quick recipe to make, the salad of avocado, grapefruit, and lime, a dish that sees this butted fruit for a riot of colors and flavors.
A side dish to offer to those who love to try new and spicy flavors, a vegan dish rich in beneficial nutrients, simple and quick to prepare. Let’s see how to make this recipe:
Steps to Follow while making Avocado grapefruit salad recipe:
- First, let’s get on making the dressing for our salad. Remember that you have collected some grapefruit juice in a bowl when you are peeling and cutting the grapefruit. Take that bowl, and add the lime juice, honey and olive oil to the bowl containing the grapefruit juice.
- Add the sliced chili, ground pepper, salt, and honey. Beat everything until the dressing is emulsified.
- Put the lettuce leaves in a salad bowl or plate if you’re using one. Then sprinkle some Salt and pepper. Now, sprinkle the leaves with about a quarter of the dressing that we have made. Mix well.
- Now we will prepare the avocado for salad. Cut the avocados in half and remove the core. Peel and cut into pieces, then transfer to a salad bowl. Also, lay the grapefruit.
- Pour the remaining dressing over the salad and serve.
#5 How to serve the avocado grapefruit salad recipe
Easy, fast, 100% vegan, and super genuine: the avocado and grapefruit salad is a perfect cold dish also for those on a diet. The grapefruit and avocado salad are delicious and easy to make an idea that can be proposed on various occasions.
Grapefruit, like most citrus, is in the high season during the bleaker winter months, making this salad a nice blast of color in the winter, as well as a refreshing salad in the summer.
You can serve the salad with other side dishes or you can eat the salad alone.
- If you want to prepare it as an appetizer for the holidays, you can also add smoked salmon.
- Serve it as a side dish to a simple meat burger or as an appetizer for a dinner with friends.
- With white rice or a slice of black bread, it becomes light and balanced meal, perfect for the office lunch break.
- Layer alternately flavored avocado cubes and the grapefruit fillets in four small glasses. Garnish with the basil leaves set aside.
- Serve it with some broken crab meat or pink shrimp, or on its own.
- Consider these bright and sharp numbers as versatile salads, to be kept in rotation throughout the winter. It can play side dishes or main dishes – you decide what is best for you. It’s simple enough to partner with whatever is included in your meal plan for dinner, and just fill in yourself as a light lunch.
- You add it with a piece of white fish or grilled salmon fillet, although you can also add it with chicken breast or even a few pieces of steak and call it dinner.
#6 Some simple tips to follow to make the avocado grapefruit salad recipe
Adding grapefruit to your dishes is a guaranteed success. This food, in addition to being healthy, is an exquisite fruit that you can combine with countless ingredients.
This avocado and grapefruit salad, you can accompany it with the grapefruit juice itself or with lemon. It is also a suitable alternative for both vegans and vegetarians.
This grapefruit salad is well balanced in flavors and textures. Its organoleptic characteristics make it the protagonist of many tasty winter salads. Such as the salad of radicchio and fennel with grapefruit or those of chicken, grapefruit, and endive and of lobster.
Read Also: How To Make Avocado Recipes For Babies?
Avocado with its delicate flavor and buttery texture contrasts happily citrus flavor and the lettuce Iceberg adds crispness and freshness to the collection. However, to maintain the crispiness of the lettuce and the delicious texture of avocado is a must in the salad.
So here are some tips for you with which you can make your salad even more delicious and healthy.
- Grapefruits are characterized by just a few calories. 100 g of this fruit already covers about 60 percent of the daily requirement of vitamin C. In addition, these sweet-sour tasting fruits also contain vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, and the minerals magnesium, calcium and potassium.
- Use a sharp kitchen knife to cut the avocado lengthways in the middle around the core so that it has two halves. Open the two halves by turning them against each other and lifting them apart. Now take the half with the core in one hand, the knife in the other hand. Hit the stone lightly with the knife blade so that it easily penetrates the core. Now briefly move the knife back and forth to loosen the stone and pull it out.
- Put all the ingredients in the fridge a few hours before preparation, to enjoy their freshness at the time of tasting.
- The mixture of avocado and grapefruit, as well as the addition of pepper, makes it a very successful mixture. Perfect to take in a picnic box for the beach, or in a more chic version using a cookie cutter.
- Packaged, a shredded bag of lettuce is often contaminated with germs and is also significantly more expensive than a whole head of lettuce. Buy your salad in organic quality and preferably regional and seasonal, so it tastes best. And: seasonal salads bring variety to your menu.
- If the lettuce leaves are already withered, you can revive them in a water bath. Put them in a bowl of water for about 30 minutes before preparation, then they will be crisp and fresh again. Then put the leaves in a salad spinner or dry them on a clean dishtowel.
- Choose salads according to the season and process them as freshly as possible.
- Always wash all herbal ingredients twice, thoroughly, before using them.
- Water is the enemy of all dressings. So dry everything well with kitchen paper, a cloth or a salad spinner – otherwise your dressing will turn into a sloppy foot bath.
- Put on each salad just before eating.
- Make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature.
- Use only the best oils (e.g. olive oil, sunflower oil, kernel oil, safflower oil, rapeseed oil, etc.) from agricultural production.
- Pay attention to the right ratio of vinegar or citrus juice such as lime juice and oil. It is recommended to combine 2 parts of oil and 1 part of vinegar. Avoid stretching with water.
- Always start with vinegar and spices and only pour the oil over the lettuce at the end. Oil impregnates the salad against all other ingredients, and vinegar also combines more easily with salt and pepper.
- It is best to put the basic ingredients for your planned salad dressing in an empty screw-top jar. Now all you have to do is close the lid and just shake it. This has the advantage that the taste can be corrected before the sauce comes into the salad. And if some salad dressing is left over, you can keep it in the fridge for up to a week. But be careful: never shake herbs in a glass, only mix them directly under the salad at the end.
- If you serve lukewarm ingredients such as chicken breast or fish with lettuce, you should not place the warm products on. But around the lettuce, otherwise, it will lose its crispness and become unsightly.
- Dressings should always be added to a salad at the end – due to the acids or their heaviness they make the delicate salad leaves limp. So mix in the dressing last – or serve it extra. Mixed salad for a picnic is also possible: layer the ingredients according to their weight in a mason jar, dressing comes to the bottom. Cover it and take it with you, everything is mixed on-site.
- Pay attention to the season: each type of salad has its own season and tastes best within the season.
- You should not use the popular salad spinners on particularly tender leaves – they make the salad limp.
#7 Frequently Asked Questions about Avocado Grapefruit Salad Recipe
Grapefruit and avocado salad is a refreshing and nutritious preparation that goes very well in the summer. It is a salad that is made very simply and will surprise any visitor.
It also combines textures and flavors in a harmonious way, helping to get out of the routine of classic salads. As we already said, it is very simple so do not wait any longer, it is with ingredients that you can have by chance at home.
So take advantage of giving them a very rich preparation that will not go under the table. But first, let us clear your doubts through these frequently asked questions and answers:
How to lose weight with grapefruit?
You can eat the pulp of grapefruits neat, in a salad, or as a dessert. Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice also provides many vitamins and is quickly made.
For dessert, a delicious orange-grapefruit salad, or grapefruit cream slices or the frozen grapefruit-orange granita are light, fruity alternative to lavish chocolate desserts.
How to work with lettuce to make your salad tastier?
Wash first, then shred. Otherwise, you wash down valuable ingredients in the sink instead of taking them up.
It is always better to pluck lettuce than cut. When you pluck lettuce leaves, they automatically break up on the leaf rib so that fewer cell veins are destroyed and fewer ingredients are lost.
Unfortunately, the opposite happens when cutting. You can recognize the freshness of a head of lettuce from the interface at the stalk – the lighter, the fresher the head.
Wilted leaves are also a no go so always buy whole heads of lettuce. Pre-portioned salads contain hardly any healthy ingredients, but germs and bacteria like to multiply in the bags.
What are the contraindications of eating Grapefruit?
Despite the great benefits of grapefruit, there are categories of people who should not eat it. These include:
- Hypertensive patients taking drugs that lower blood pressure, since the grapefruit itself lowers it.
- The fruit is a strong allergen.
- People suffering from inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: with increased acidity, gastritis, colitis, peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer, hepatitis, with acute nephritis and other similar diseases. The reason for the contraindication is that the fruit irritates the mucous membrane of the stomach and kidneys.
- Grapefruit is contraindicated in infants and children under 3 years of age, as it can cause a severe allergic reaction.
How to choose a sweet grapefruit?
Often, stopping at the counter, we face the problem of how to choose the right fruit, so that it pleases us at home with its flavor. When choosing fruit, pay attention to the following criteria:
- The fruit must be soft and whole. When you click on it, the fruit should bounce without leaving dents. However, it shouldn’t be too difficult. The skin should have a bright color. This is an indicator of the amount of beta-carotene in it. The more this substance, the sweeter the fruit will taste.
- The skin should be thin, smooth, and shiny. It is desirable that the weight of the grapefruit is large. Then it will be juicier.
- Quality fruit smells good and pleasant.
How to clean and peel a grapefruit?
First of all, the fruit must be washed from the dirty plate and wax, which is often lubricated for storage. Wash the fruit in warm water and clean with paper towels – mechanical action will remove the dirt completely.
To peel the fruit, the fruit must be immersed in boiling water. Cut the peel 0.5 cm, like a watermelon – into 6 teeth, without reaching the pulp. Then remove the skin by hand.
For those who are allergic to citrus oil, you can use plastic gloves, put the fruit in a bag or two layers of food film, and peel the skin through a protective layer. For the same purpose, it will help paper towels.
They do not fully protect your hands from splashing oil but will absorb the excess, and this will ensure the cleanliness of the table.
The resulting peeled fruit is divided into slices, dressed in white skin. If they are allowed to dry, the fruit will be very easy to peel. In addition, it will only be necessary to pull out the seam (a narrow thread that was in the core) or incise it and remove the seam, removing whole pieces of pulp.
Do not throw away the grape membranes. Of these, you can insist on a very useful facial tonic or hair rinse with the function of controlling oiliness and moisturizing the skin.
How to peel grapefruit in the simplest way?
The most commonly used method to peel a grapefruit is with the use of a kitchen knife. Gently chop the top of the grapefruit – to avoid touching its pulp inside.
Make small cuts on the skin of the fruit from top to bottom with a small, sharp knife. Take the peel on top and pull it down. The bark will be easily separated from the fruit along the incision line. With a knife, attach the white film on top and pull it down.
Grapefruit should be divided into two halves. On each slice with a knife, cut a white film in the top center in the bone area. Pull the film downwards, separating it from the pulp. The thin membrane extends easily to the sides. Removing the film from the bottom will take a little effort.
How to squeeze the juice of the grapefruit without peeling?
If grapefruit is needed for the juice, there is a secret to its quality squeeze. Especially, it will be useful for those who do not have a juicer.
Before the procedure, roll the fruit with the peel on the table, it will make the pulp soft and it will be better to remove the membranes and squeeze the juice.
Then, the grapefruit is cut in two halves so that more juice can be squeezed which can be done manually.
Now that you know all about grapefruit, start with making this beautiful salad.
Related terms and posts
- avocado grapefruit salad recipe for your breakfast
- best avocado grapefruit salad recipe for your dinner
- tips on avocado grapefruit salad recipe for the home party
- avocado grapefruit salad recipe for your lunch
- best avocado grapefruit salad recipe
- grapefruit jicama avocado salad recipe
- avocado grapefruit salad recipe queer eye